Thursday, September 07, 2006

Tell me what you think about this!

I think I've already told a couple of you this, but I was watching a special edition of Dateline a few weeks back, dealing primarily with obesity in children and adults. They were talking about how advertizing can affect which foods you choose to eat. In a research study, they took 10 children under the age of 8, and sat them down at a little table. In the first study, they took a banana with Garfield stickers stuck all over it and a chocolate cupcake and sat them down on the table. They asked the children which they would rather eat for breakfast. 8 of the children chose the banana. Then, in the next study, they sat 2 cupcakes on the table. One had a smiley face on it, and the other had Mickey Mouse on it. 9 of the children chose mickey mouse. In the last study, they actually took a rock and put Spongebob Squarepants stickers on it, and a banana. 10/10 children chose to eat the rock for breakfast.

Sad isn't it!?

3 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Bridget said...

Oh My Gosh!, That is so sad!

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Brent Pugh said...

Where can I get one of those rocks? I'm hungry!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger chelsey said...

That doesn't surprise me unfortunately. Just walk down the cereal aisle at the store. Have you noticed how many disney character cereals there are now? It's crazy! Of course, Sarah always wants the princess cereal (which inevitablely she won't eat because it's just gross) only because it's got the princesses on it. Geoff doesn't care too much thankfully. Then again, I'm not such a nice mommy -- we get the cheerios. Boring I know. At least I won't feel bad about them eating those!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home